Thursday, June 05, 2008

CV -> Ubuntu style!

After 6+ years, on a whim, I have finally decided to research how to write my CV :).. it is one of those things I never like doing.. so to prep up things.. I setup some requirements:
a) It should be easy to type in and maintain.
b) I will not use Windows, abiword, openoffice etc.
c) It should be portable output-pdf is good..
Entrez Latex

Step 1: Getting the packages.: sudo apt-get install texlive-base-bin texlive-latex-extra texlive-latex-recommended latex2rtf groff latex2html
This gives you the CTAN resume.cls which is kinda neat and looks like it makes life lot simple.

Step 2: looking for ready templates:
a) Jason Blevins has posted a nice CV template gives an output like this. From this page, linked to this - resume style.
b) Mathew Miller's CV Template gives this output, but looks more academia.
c) just google for latex cv
Just choose the stuff you'd like.

Step 3: write the stuff..
Well.. the main thing is lots of folks have done this :)... and other than writing the material, fonts and other funny stuff is not anymore of a bother(just telling myself.. it is not as tough as I think it is..) ;)

No comments: