Thursday, May 08, 2008

U-Boot v2 Finally in progress

Phew, things are not settled yet, but U-Boot V2 work has started, the single man army is crunching code ;)... anyways.. for folks interested in my U-Boot patches and discussions on the list, here is quick link for TI ID and this one for gmail id I have been having on the list ;)

I have been struggling the past few days trying to reduce the size of U-Boot (other than OMAP code) to less than 20K. this'd include a simple parser, the very minimal config. Drat! the amount of libraries being packed in was around 53K in size.. I do know that TI's compiler TMS470 is intelligent in not linking stuff which are unused.. after a fair amount of digging, did finally hit the gcc flags. now the bad part.. it kicked out my init functions! drat.. finally tracked it down to the lds KEEP() wrapper. so while i work on OMAP patches at office, I started peeking at Sandbox at home.. and well.. make C=2 does in fact throw tons of warnings-> will look at it if no one is interested in fixing them..

The pain area is organizing OMAP files. I DO NOT want kernel style mach-omap, plat-omap MESS! I am sure TI will have future OMAPs where they can plug in modules (ending up with today's OMAP1 component in OMAP10 or so). I am thinking of a plain mach-omap directory containing module drivers which can be enabled/disabled with Kconfig. all board files will be isolated out - no OMAP specific drivers in board directory, similarly no peripheral specific or board specific files in mach-omap directory. trying to make it my holy grail! lets see how far i get..

by the way, i did do a NS16550 driver for U-Boot V2. staying away from posting it till i proove it working on OMAP..

No comments: